Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Blue Bell Challenge: Completed!

As you know from my monthly wrap-up reports … erm, which I failed to complete for August … I have been on a quest for many moons to sample every current flavor of Blue Bell ice cream. It was a challenge I took very seriously. If I'd even so much as heard rumors that there might be a new flavor available, I immediately wrote it down.

August was a little bit busy for me. Because Matt is a good husband, he was basically doing everything for me, including cooking, going to the grocery store, cleaning, blogging … and because he's a good husband, he also stopped by the ice cream aisle at HEB, where he found another flavor we've been waiting for … White Chocolate Almond! It was quite good — sweet, but not overly so, like white chocolate can be. Chunky, but not too chunky. It was awesome.


There was also another new flavor that came out for September … Malt Shoppe. It's delicious. It tastes like those Whoppers candies, but in ice cream form, and even has some tiny malt balls in it.

But there were still 11 flavors on my list that I hadn't been able to track down this whole time. And with an imminent move to a state in which Blue Bell is only available in some areas, Matt suggested that I write a letter to Blue Bell to ask if or when those flavors might become available again. And then I put that on my to-do list and then didn't do it, until he had a better idea a week or two later.

After our Malt Shoppe purchase, Matt asked me how many flavors were left on my list, so I read them off to him. (In case you're curious, they were: Cake and Ice Cream, Caramel Turtle Fudge, Cherry Cheesecake, Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Creole Cream Cheese, Dessert Trio, Lemon, Lemon Ice Box Pie, Pineapples & Homemade Vanilla, Strawberry Banana Pound Cake, and Summer Strawberry Pie.) He said he'd never even seen some of the ones I listed, so he suggested I take a look at Blue Bell's rotational flavor list to make sure all the ones I have left on my list are still, you know, available for purchase. Aaaand I did, and then I had to remove every single one of them from my list because they are not available at any time of year anymore.

Which means … I have no more left on the "Flavors I Haven't Tried" list.

CHALLENGE COMPLETED, with 67 flavors tried! (You can see analyses of all the flavors throughout these posts.)



Just in time, too! But please, oh God, please let Blue Bell be available in the part of Virginia we're headed to. I don't know that I want to live in a world in which there's no Butter Crunch or Happy Tracks.

What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Would you be sick of ice cream after 67 flavors?

13 comments

  1. Katie @ A Beautiful Little AdvSeptember 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM

    I simply love that you had an ice cream challenge!! We don't have blue bell where I live but the flavors all sound good. I will never be sick of Ice Cream. I'm a Turkey Hill girl because it's from my hometown. Skinny Minty all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been visiting a local FroYo place since the move and on the last visit they had Root Beer Float frozen yogurt. It was amazing. I really hope it's there next time we go.

    Most of our ice cream consumption is Breyers as they have lactose-free vanilla and chocolate available on a regular basis and if I can have a treat without having to take a pill, all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! You totally did it! That's kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! I really want to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Turkey Hill! Is it only a northeast thing, like Blue Bell is only (kinda sorta) in the south? If they have it in Virginia, I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh root beer froyo sounds so good. I've never seen that at any of our froyo places!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I feel like it's kind of a cop-out to have to remove all the rest of the flavors, but hey, if you can't buy 'em, you can't buy 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should! It's a delicious challenge to undertake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie @ A Beautiful Little AdvSeptember 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM

    They might! I know they have it in parts of Florida and North and South Carolina. But even if they don't, you'll have to do a whole new ice cream challenge with whatever new local brand you find in Blackburg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I am so happy for you! I often wondered if some of the flavors you were looking for were discontinued. This is the best challenge idea ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have considered it sooner, because then I would have actually been finished a couple of months ago. But they just kept adding new, delicious flavors to try! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hustle + HalcyonMay 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM

    Oh my gaaaah, I've been eating this stuff since I was little! I go to a school really really close to Brenham, and my friends and I want to make a trip to Bluebell soon! I haven't been in years.

    Good to see another blogger appreciating the greatness that is Bluebell ( Texas does it the best! ).
    xx

    Payton
    http://hustleandhalcyon.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Blue Bell factory tour was so fun! But you might want to wait until all this recall stuff has blown over before planning a trip, I don't know if they're even doing tours right now since they've stopped operations for the time being. :( Which school are you at?

    ReplyDelete