Monday, January 26, 2015

One of These Days I'll Be a Badass

After we got finished trying on bridesmaid dresses for my sister's wedding, I was looking at the photos my mom had taken of us, and made a decision.

I have never done any type of strength training. I have some hand weights, but the only ones I've ever used have been the little three-pound weights, and I find those to be a little heavy when I work out with them. I have no upper-body strength. I wasn't that thrilled with how my arms were looking in the photos, and figured that 27 is as good a time as any to figure out how to get muscles. So after we got back home from Christmas, I started doing the 100 pushups program.

In case you haven't heard of it before, it's a three-day-a-week, six-week program where you build up your arm strength, starting with just a few pushups and then adding more day by day.

Now, the website tells you to take a pre-test to determine whether you should start on level 1, 2 or 3. I skipped that because I knew I could only legitimately do one or two pushups before wilting like a delicate flower. I started with level 1, and the website says that on this level, you're supposed to be able to do 50 pushups in a row after six weeks.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I've been working for three weeks now. I repeated Week 1 twice, and I'm about to start Week 2 for a second time. Week 2 Day 3 said to do repetitions of 5, 7, 5, 5, and then a minimum of 8 pushups, and then Week 3 Day 1 tells you to start your first rep with 10 pushups! And I am faint of heart and can't fathom starting out with that many and then doing more sets after that.


On my best day yet, I managed 11 pushups in a row, and then I growled and did muscle poses all over the living room while my husband laughed at me and called me cute. But I am not deluding myself into thinking I could do 11 pushups in a row every day, not just yet. These noodles I call arms are still struggling, and my shoulder muscles that are by my chest are sore every day, and I don't want to hurt myself.

But I am going to have awesome-looking arms at my sister's wedding. And if I ever manage to get to 50 pushups, I will post a video to prove it. Because if I were you — heck, if I were me! — I wouldn't believe it.

Tell me what you're doing to work out! Are you still sticking to any New Year's resolutions? Do you like strength training?

16 comments

  1. Katie @ A Beautiful Little AdvJanuary 26, 2015 at 10:31 AM

    hahaha I too wilt like a flower while doing pushups...ouch! Body Pump classes have helped me immensely, I did them religiously before my wedding and now still like to attend. I've noticed amazing changes through out my entire body from strength training. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot woot! I'm so wimpy when it comes to pushups as well. I'm much better with situps, and I can do all of the variations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no upper body strength, either. I used to walk with hand weights and I've done Pilates with them, too, though they make my hands hurt. When my boys were babies, my arms were pretty toned from carrying them around. Good for you for doing push-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice form! I do the knee pushups because I'm a wuss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Just add a little at a time like you're doing, and soon you will be doing them like an Olympic weight lifter! That's how I did my pull-up. Took me 6 full months, and you know I posted a video of it! Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, when I had a gym membership I went to a Body Pump class once, and got intimidated by all the people lifting huge heavy dumbbells (well, I was only lifting the bar, so any weights at all were huge to me). I never thought that it could make full-body changes. Now I'm cursing myself for not going back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oof. I used to be good at situps/crunches. Now my abs hurt just thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, kids would be good for arm training! When my sister and I were little, my dad would lift us up like barbells and do arm curls and stuff lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're not a wuss! I could never run like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'd have to. Just to prove you did it once. And then never again lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's true. What you don't know is, I definitely CANNOT do 3 pullups currently. I just watch the video of me doing them and feel strong while I eat my cupcakes. haha :)

    *Amanda* | The Lady Okie Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! That's awesome! I've found yoga to be great for my arms--there are push-ups integrated into the practice, so that's probably part of it. Good luck to you and keep on pushing! Up, that is :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to do yoga and Pilates way more often, and I should get back into doing it again. It makes me less stressed out too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And not even wimpy bent-knee "girl" pushups

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whatever gets people moving! :)

    ReplyDelete