Monday, February 9, 2015

This is Weird. I'm Kind of Into Working Out Right Now.

Yesterday, I went for a bike ride. I've been meaning to go check out this six-mile trail in our city, and the one time Matt and I went to go for a walk on it, his blood sugar went low almost immediately and we didn't even make it all the way to the wooded area where the trail actually started. (As opposed to the part beside the road that's basically a sidewalk.)

So Sunday was beautiful, around 60 degrees, and I got my light jacket and my grandpa's bike and my helmet, and hit the trail. After about a mile and a half of riding, there was a sign saying the next section of the trail was closed, so I turned around, which is kind of pathetic but also kind of a relief. This trail is on a mountain, so there was lots of ups and downs, and I was basically dying. My mom called me while I was walking the bike up a giant hill, and I huffed and puffed a conversation with her until I figured I was either going to drop my water bottle, drop the phone, drop the bike or drop dead, and said I'd call her back.

I suppose my interest in going on a bike ride on a nice day isn't so unusual. But when you combine it with the fact that I'm steadily getting better at pushups — I finally started Week 3! Week 3 is kicking my butt! — AND the fact that I ordered a pedometer on Amazon the other day, AND the fact that I've become obsessed with the Fitbit app, despite not owning a Fitbit? It's downright strange. Who is this girl and what has she done with Allie?

Whatchu mean it's time to stop laying around?!

Also, this obsession of mine has caused me to learn some stuff. Like, did you know that your body burns a lot of calories just to keep you alive? ME NEITHER! (It's okay, you can laugh at me. I had to ask Matt why the Fitbit app kept congratulating me for burning all these calories when I did nothing but sit around all day.) Also, did you know that it classifies "meditating" and "fishing" and "sailing" as exercises? This app is my new best friend. Obviously, now I need to get me a yacht so I can sit on the deck and call it a workout. (Oh hi, regular lazy Allie, I guess you're back now.)

Have you picked up any new hobbies or obsessions lately? Do tell! What new knowledge has blown your mind? Also, do you have any ideas for upping the number of steps taken per day? (Because it is sad but I am nowhere near the recommended 10,000 steps per day. NOT EVEN KIND OF CLOSE.)

10 comments

  1. I LOVE reaching the point where you are into working out. When it becomes a part of your daily routine and you see how it positively impacts your life. It's so hard getting there, but so, so worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get a fitbit! You'd love it. I definitely got obsessed with my step count and having to hit 10k. On a normal day I'm probably around 8! I had no idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i've never been one to track body-stuff, but pregnancy has taught me some interesting things - like you burn EXTRA calories making the baby, and so you're resting position is in overdrive - working out while you're watching TV. also: i'm jealous of your bike ride. what i wouldn't give to plow away the snow and hop on a bike...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh girl, you're doing awesome! I'm hovering between 2-3k per day. I did set an alarm on my work computer today so every 45 minutes it tells me to get up and do a lap around the office. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What! I didn't know that either, about babies burning calories, haha! Also, I wish I had some of your snow, because there's no reason for it to be cold if it's not snowing, in my humble Texan opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for being into working out, girl! Can you send some of that my way? I love the idea of owning a fitbit, but I don't know if I'd be motivated enough to keep using it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why I figured I'd start with the cheap pedometer … because I tend to jump from obsession to obsession! I think the one I bought was $7 on Amazon? That was good enough for now. :) Sending "yayyyy working out!" vibes your way, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was the laziest person for the first 26 years of my life. With an office job for several years though, I noticed I always had pent up energy that was driving me nuts. Music, movies and TV make people feel like they are involved or active. It’s a weird, deceptive illusion… film especially makes you feel like you’re doing something when you are really just sitting there. Now when I work out, I really push my muscles and my heart is pumping and I get that release that I don’t have if I’m watching a chase scene, feeling like I’m running along with the characters.

    I still recommend parking far away always, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, going to the furthest bathroom away and even going for a walk at lunch or home if you can. I don’t have a car and if I don’t do a run, I probably only get 8-9k steps a day during the winter because I just stay in at lunch. But if I would just walk to the grocery or the lake at lunchtime or do something in the evening besides go home, then it’s easily 10k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I never thought about it before as pent-up energy, but I am so restless at work just sitting all the time. Since a lot of our office has been out the last two weeks, I've taken to just pacing around the office during lunch, but that doesn't even feel like enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I really think our bodies are used to being very active all day long. We'll probably need to evolve some more if we want to make the office set up work long-term. :P

    ReplyDelete