Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Life List: Speaking Of Other Languages...

Matt and I got us some culture. We went to the opera last weekend!

Even though our wedding anniversary is only two months away, we wanted to do something to celebrate our 10th dating anniversary, so we've got a mini-break planned for next month, and I found tickets on Groupon to go to Rossini's "La Cenerentola" (Cinderella), which was put on by Opera Roanoke.


It was a great show; lovely singing, some light comedy, and thankfully, subtitles! They sang a lot of notes/words for every line that showed up on the screen. (The whole thing is in Italian. If you're so inclined, there are several places on YouTube where you can watch the entire opera.) Matt said that this was not a very efficient way to tell a story. :) But I think he enjoyed it too. It was something totally different for us.

I'm glad that we experienced it, but I think maybe we're just not fancy enough to be regular opera-people? But we also went to see Insurgent on Saturday and determined that we're not really movie-going people either, so I don't know what kind of people we are.

Have you ever been to an opera? If you had to define yourself by one "thing" you love, what kind of person would you be?

4 comments

  1. my family tried for years and years to turn me into an opera person, but it never stuck! i would say i'm a book + musical +dog kinda person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to the opera! I'm the black sheep of my family, though - my parents, brother, and husband all hate it, but I love it and would go all the time if I could afford it. My fave is Carmen - I listen to the songs from Carmen sometimes when I'm cooking, it always makes life more fun :)


    If you're ever back in the Houston area, there are free operas sometimes at Hermann Park (in the Miller Outdoor Theater) that are really fun, and they have a screen with the words translated into English so you can follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good kind of person to be! And meh to other people wanting us to be things we are not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea there was an outdoor theater there! Good to know. I love seeing live performances of things!

    ReplyDelete