Monday, September 28, 2015

That Time I Got Tricked Into Eating Meat

So. I accidentally ate meat last week. I've been a vegetarian/pescatarian for a little over two years now. And I got irrationally pissed off over something that is completely voluntary, which is ridiculous.

Last week, Matt and I had a date night. We went to the driving range to hit golf balls for a while, and then Matt suggested we go to this local burger dive. We had gone there on Valentine's Day last year (are we romantic or what), and I had a really good veggie burger with refried beans and chips and salsa on the actual burger, and I wanted to experience that again.

We got our food, and I took a bite. Something didn't taste right. I looked at the patty. I looked at Matt. I looked at the burger again. I said, "I think this is meat." I made Matt take a bite. He said that it was for sure a black bean patty. I shrugged. I took another bite, and a third.

This thing did not taste like a black bean burger! I ripped the burger apart and tore into the patty. Yep. That there's ground beef, through and through.

I took it back. They told me I had ordered a regular burger. I said the burger was CALLED "veggie tostada burger," and thought it was a fair assumption that the patty would have been vegetarian-friendly. Because there ain't no actual vegetables in it! They made me another one, but it kind of put a damper on my evening.

I realize that my vegetarianism is self-imposed. It's not like it would have harmed my health if I'd decided to just suck it up and eat the meat. But it made me think about my dietary preferences. I like how I feel when I'm not eating meat. I'm not interested in going back to a carnivorous diet right now. I don't crave it, don't want it, don't need it.

And I probably won't be going back for another burger at that place.

Do you ever return restaurant food if it's incorrect?

No comments

Post a Comment